Thursday 1 February 2007

Will Gore Run?

As I've said before, I'm consistently impressed with the breadth and quality of the journalism on Rolling Stone. I'd really like to recommend you have a quick read of this article, arguing why Al Gore should run for President, and why he can win.

I'll confess, I'm a complete US politics junkie these days - I just can't get enough of it right now, we're watching history being made and really, at the risk of sounding overly grandiose, we're at a critical moment in our global civilisation, the make or break. What happens in the US of A over the next two years will have huge and momentous implications for the entire planet.

I'd agree with the article that Gore is essentially biding his time at this stage; indeed, it makes sense for him to stay out of the traditional political scrum, because he's staked himself out as both the established political player and the maverick outside. Let the other Democrat hopefuls knock each other into a stalemate, and then sweep up the votes. On a national level, I think there are some real analogies to the Schwarzenegger story actually; both of them have now created for themselves formidable personal platforms which they can, very quickly, convert into meaningful political clout. Hell, just imagine if Gore win's the Oscar he's up for!

Al, if you're reading this, do it; go for it, a whole lotta people world wide are behind you ;)

No comments: