Friday 25 April 2008

Tim Wise - The Creation of Whiteness

Hi guys,

Here's a really interesting clip from a lecturer called Tim Wise, talking about the historical context and drive behind the creation of the concept of 'whiteness' - specifically in a class context, in which race/colour was used to divide the black/white working class and indentured labourer coalitions that formed in opposition to the settler elites. Its fascinating stuff, and fully supported by a lot of the reading I've done in this area during my degree. Interestingly, it also ties in strongly with the writing of Zygmunt Bauman on the nature of racism and genocide. As ever, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

matt h2o said...

Same in Latin America. The first uprisings against Spanish dominion were class-oriented and involved large numbers of indigenous, but the criollo and mestizo elites didn't support them. Then the elites fought the wars of independence but kept the same internal systems of subjugation over the indigenous population.

GrantsHead said...

I realize that I am 3 years late, but thank you for this. I have seen everything this man has articulated in a few words.